Saturday, February 13, 2010

Love Poems in Hemp Notebooks

In the spirit of Valentines Day (a holiday I actually loathe to my core) I've decided to share a love poem. I wrote it during my week long poetry intensive at school. Before I wrote this poem, I hadn't written a decent poem since October.

About the Notebook:Now, before I post the actual poem, I have to talk about my notebook. I received it when I was 8 years old. My mom, sister and I were going on a trip to Florida to do a program called Teen Missions. A woman from the church we attended at the time gave us "going away" packages with food, disposable cameras, crayons, Mad Libs, and of course, notebooks. We each got one, however, I seem to be the only one who still has theirs. These notebooks are hand-made, recycled hemp paper (don't quote me on that) made by poor women in some other country. Sorry I can't remember the details, but it's been 8 years. I have terrible memory.

Thanks for your patience...

Sweet Spice

Her eyes
a brilliant green,
the fluffiest most crystalline
buds held within a gold speckled casing.

She is a goddess
a name suited to her fairness,
the most expensive spice
and a vibrant yellow.

Her breath
flavored and scented
like perfumed vanilla,
exuding from lips that
shine with dripping diamonds.

She is my confidant,
she is my personal goddess
with wings made from gold,
tattered from men and their false words.

Saffron,
my lovely spicy woman,
fragrant and elegant,
my personal goddess,
my radiant love,
how I dream to kiss you,
how I dream to place
your scented skin upon mine.

I will pick you up,
hold you close,
tell you comforting truths.
I will mend your wings,
make you forget the pain
inflicted by the man who
knew not how to treat you.

I dream of loving you,
I dream of caressing you.
But I cannot afford
your expensive spice. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so lovely, Emma. It was even more lovely to hear you reading it aloud tonight.

    ReplyDelete